I realized as soon as we got to the race site that the training I had done, which I ASSUMED was close to 1/2 a mile based on my Google Map calculations, probably wasn't. A half a mile in open, freezing water is much longer than you'd think. Well, not if you're a totally fit athlete. But if you're ME - it was a very definite challenge. And really... because I can't swim in a straight line, and had to be "herded" back to the course multiple times by volunteers in canoes... I'm sure I swam OVER a 1/2 mile. At one point, someone in a canoe was yelling at me, and I stopped so I could put my head above water and hear her. The lady was yelling "HEY YOU!! GOOD JOB!" "THANKS!" I yelled back. "BUT YOU'RE GOING THE WRONG WAY!!" Ohhh. Yeah. OK. Re-calculate.
I'm glad I brought my wet-suit, because even with it, I got a horrendous cramp on the final stretch, and started questioning whether I would "make it" or not. The guy next to me didn't.... he was hauled aboard one of the life-boats with hypothermia. I finished, thank you very much. And not DEAD last, but pretty much the back of the pack. But I FINISHED. And my team-mates did awesome on a 23 mile bike ride and a 5 mile run. Go Team COPPERMOM!!! WOO HOO! We were even the winners of our category! First place in the "MERE MORTALS" division!!!! The crowd went wild, as we humbly took our medals to the podium, and stood next to zilcho other competitors, because everyone else present were all crazy-fit superathletes. Or, well, ok. Maybe not. That should have been a category for teams like us, had the race organizers had their stuff together (Kristin, get Dave on that, will you?). There really was a sorry dearth of us regular blokes there. I mean - you hear the word "TRIATHALON", and it just automatically brings up visions of a middle-aged woman with a slight pudge, right?? Where WERE all the other people like me??? That said, I am ridiculously proud of the fact that we weren't last. That is such a point of pride at this moment. I am in awe of us.
It was a fun day, (after that first part with the freezing water - I'm not ready to gloss over THAT memory just yet), and some day... I just might do it again. With a whole lot more training under my belt. And with assured warmer water temperatures.
The baseline has been set, and the box checked off my bucket list. None the worse for wear minus a few sore muscles, so.... SUCCESS!!
Arial photos of the race!
Race timer and green toes.
Notice that those who aren't swimming are in sweatshirts and coats. Yeah. Cold.
You want me to jump in WHAT??
GO RENATA! 23 miles seems an impossible distance to me - even on a bike. I was thoroughly impressed with her performance!! She even lost her chain twice, and persevered!!
This blur is Kristin. Because she is running sooooooo fast.
At the finish line, and still smiling!
Official Results.
"TRI like a mother" t-shirts.
Fortuitous sign by the side of the road. Just really says it all, doesn't it??
-2.jpg)
-4.jpg)
-5.jpg)
-7.jpg)
-8.jpg)
-9.jpg)

-16.jpg)
-10.jpg)
-11.jpg)
-17.jpg)
-19.jpg)



-3.jpg)
-12.jpg)
-13.jpg)
-14.jpg)
-15.jpg)
No comments:
Post a Comment