Sunday, August 4, 2013

Geocaching

Today, the boys and I tried geocaching for the first time.  It's something that we've been wanting to do for a long time, and we finally just... did it.  It was FUN!  We hiked the Chassell trail, which was just gorgeous.  Quinn kept gushing "this place is BEAUTIFUL!  I want to grow up and live right here!"  We found our treasure cache, left a memento for the next seeker, and then continued to hike the rest of the trail.  Beautiful day, even if we took a wrong turn somewhere and ended up in the cemetery.  By chance, I happened to notice a monument there that I'd never seen before - of the man who grew up in our house and died in World War I!!  He had written letters to home while stationed in France, and we found these letters stuck in a wall when we remodeled our home.   The letters eventually made it to relatives of the Sauvolas, but it was really cool seeing this physical monument to someone who lived in our home.















 
 
After a little research, it looks like he died at the Battle of the Marne in France.  The Chassell VFW hall is named after him. 


6 comments:

Josh R said...

Trivia question. Which of your High School classmates is most related to Geocaching?

Do you know?

Josh R said...

Trivia question. Which of your High School classmates is most related to Geocaching?

Do you know?

Monica said...

I have no idea - give me a hint?

Josh R said...

The guy in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcMpdJ7baV4


Monica said...

OK. Vaguely remember that guy (just kidding) ;). What does he have to do with geocaching??

Josh R said...

He is one of the lead programmers at Geocaching.com His name is on their patents..

I was always impressed at how efficiently that website could list all of the cache's closest to me. Seems simple enough on the surface until you realize the "to Me" is different every single time. It's gotta do some pretty big math under the covers..