Saturday, January 6, 2018

Feast Day Fun: Feast of the Epiphany

Epiphany fell on a Saturday this year.  Which means there was TIME to really do it up, which is thrilling around here!  Even more... our local Walmart had their Twelve Days of Christmas plates on sale for 75% off!!!  This was just too much fortuitous circumstance divine intervention not to buy a whole set of 18 place settings, to be used on Epiphany forevermore :).






We invited over some good friends, feasted on broiled chicken with pear chutney (partridge in a pair tree... get it??), wassail, star-shaped scalloped potatoes, Three Kings Bayabel cheeses, star-shaped cucumber salad, epiphany springerle cookies, and fruit salad. 







For dessert, I had tried to make a king cake in the beautiful bundt pan I co-own with my friend Renata (shared custody!), but I must not have done the dance just right, because the thing would NOT come out, despite my following the incantation just as I always have (real Pam no-stick spray, boxed cake mix, cook thoroughly, let cool upside down, tap bottom).  HHHMMPH.  So at the last minute, I made a cheese cake, which didn't look very "king"-like until I remembered that I have 12 days of Christmas chocolate molds that would work very nicely!!!  Viola - crown shape!


We read about the Magi's visit from Matthew, and learned the "secret" meaning behind the 12 days of Christmas.  After dinner, three children found gold coins in their cakes, making them the three "kings" for the day.  Each read their part of the collect from the Epiphany mass.  And then we spent the evening laughing and merry-making, and just thoroughly enjoying ourselves!

Christmas.... is OVER!!








2 comments:

Erin @ Sky Blue Pink Roses said...

Looks like a great time! If you don't have any nut allergies, you might consider making a traditional French gallette des rois for dessert--it's very easy! That's what we did, but unfortunately, I forgot to acquire a crown, so Simon had to wear an imaginary one.

Monica said...

I'm going to have to look up the recipe for that for next year!!