Saturday, February 15, 2014

Renovations

So, it's the middle of a near-record-cold winter, and we're trapped indoors much of the time.  Seems a logical time to do some indoor renovations, right?  That's what we thought, at least.  So demolition began.  We tore out the carpet in the boys' room.  And the guest room.  And the stairs.  And Reagan's room.  I've repainted the entire upstairs, cleaned out closets, tore off molding strips, moved furniture ad nauseum. The entire contents of the upstairs is in three different closets, the contents of Reagan's room is in the basement and den.  In two more days, we'll tear up the kitchen - move the fridge out into the dining area, the stove into the hallway, the kitchen island into.... I don't know where we're going to put the kitchen island.  It's a fluid process.    We'll restore the maple floors in the bedrooms and kitchen, add hardwood to the playroom, tile the entry way and bathroom, and replace closet doors.  We're tearing out the upstairs railing and replacing it with a built-in bookshelf wall. The garage is full of old carpet, boxes for Goodwill, and loads and loads and loads of garbage.  On top of that, my washing machine has been broken for the past week (my dear father-in-law found about $5 worth of change in the filter.  YUP.  That will do it.)  so the laundry is piled sky high, and our front door handle broke.  There is not one.square.foot. of my home that is not a complete and utter disaster at the moment.

Couple the in-home devastation with a full moon, children hyped up on Valentine's day candy,  PMS, a very bossy five year old, and a mother who has not felt warm since OCTOBER, and we have a recipe for disaster.   The Mama has NOT been in a good mood today.  Luckily, the wine is kicking in, and I started pumping the 80's throwback music on Pandora.  It's hard to stay in a bad mood when "Come on Eileen" is on.  Maybe we'll survive until sunrise.

There's a lot more to do tomorrow.  I'm attempting to clean the kitchen enough so we have a surface to eat on, but after that... I'm done.  I have hit my wall for the day.  I'm actually debating whether its worth mopping the disgustingly dirty kitchen floor, of if I can stand it long enough until it disappears out of my life forever within the next week.  HMMMMMM.  So many choices when you're renovating.


((sigh)). 



No comments: