It wasn't as peaceful or idyllic as I had envisioned in my head (is it EVER?) but the house is now decorated for Christmas... at least 75% or so. Thank goodness for little Reagan, who has inherited my love for all things Christmas. She was begging from 6am on to get started. Her brothers? Not so much. After complaining loudly that it's "only the day after Thanksgiving!" and resisting all of my efforts to get them to participate in the festivities, they FINALLY joined in. The tears and meltdown were ugly, but I felt
much better afterwards. Something about screaming "where is your Christmas spirit???" at the top of my lungs. I don't know. I'm not proud, but it worked. After the hissy-fit, two 9 year olds suddenly discovered some semblance of 'Christmas Spirit' and joined in. They might have even enjoyed themselves a bit, though I doubt they'd admit it.
Rob was overcompensating for the pitiful festivus pole of years past, and found the plumpest tree in the forest to bring home. "So it has some junk in the trunk" he said. "Just needs a bit of pruning". That 'bit of pruning' turned into 90 minutes with a pair of pruning shears just to
get it through the door, and then another good 30 minutes to get the thing to fit in the corner. It is the perfect height, this tree, but yes. FAT as all get out. It was a good 7'-8' in diameter pre-haircut, and pushing at least 6' around after. Spherical Christmas trees. The newest craze.
Outside is a snow-globe, the Christmas music's a-blarin', and we are preparing for the upcoming holy day. I love Advent!!
"Look, Mom! I'm a reindeer!"
No comments:
Post a Comment